The Institute for Educational and Social Justice, co-directed by Dr. Marina V. Gillmore and Dr. Monique R. Henderson, is dedicated to advancing educational and social justice causes by telling stories that build awareness and understanding of educational and social justice issues. Our experience tells us that when dynamic, powerful stories are used to showcase issues of educational and social justice and the work that is being done, people and organizations are inspired to action. This blog is designed to be a forum to showcase events and issues of educational and social justice. Our goal is not to tell readers what to think, but to encourage them to regularly consider their own views on critical issues including equity and equality, racism, and related issues. The content on this blog, unless otherwise noted, is (c) by the Institute for Educational and Social Justice.

Monday, February 7, 2011

A Child's Perspective

My daughter is undeniably mine.

Not only does she look strikingly like me, but she often behaves like me -- as a combination journalist/educator. This must be why she feels compelled – even as a kindergartener -- to issue daily reports to me on the progress of other students in her classroom.

These are some of the verbal reports I have heard during the course of this school year – her first since moving to Texas and leaving her private California Montessori preschool behind.

n Student A bolted from the classroom and down the hall for the fourth time that week. The teacher is going to the district office to have a meeting to attempt to deal with the matter.

n Student B became hysterical when he was not allowed to play with the toy trains he brings to school to use as part of a reward system. My daughter was pretty sure the boy’s behavior would improve the next day: “He sure does love playing with those trains. If he gets a chance to play with those trains, it can be like magic or something.”

n Student C has learned to say his name more clearly. The work he is doing with the “speech lady” seems to be paying off. “He can even say MY name sometimes now. And I am learning to understand him more and more!”

Here and there, I have mentioned these stories to parents and friends. I mention them, often, while making the case that I think my daughter’s teacher – and her school – are miracle workers, skillfully meeting the ever-changing and unpredictable needs of students.

But often, the people who hear the stories about the students in Hannah’s class, which includes several special education students who spend their days in regular education classrooms, are bothered by what they hear.

“Hannah is bright. Don’t you think these other children are taking away the teacher’s time? Shouldn’t they be spending more time on the kids who can and want to learn? Aren’t you worried Hannah isn’t learning because of all of this?”

When met with these questions, I don’t really worry. I know, of course, that Hannah is not only learning but excelling.

But I decided to ask Hannah about the presence of some of the special education students, to see what she had to say – curious if she ever viewed their membership in her classroom as a burden or distraction. And here is what she said:

“Not have them in my class? No! I like having them in my class. I like helping them and showing them things. Like, I help (Student C) with his lunch number. And (Student B) is so nice. He smiles all the time and gives me really big hugs and is so silly that it makes me happy. I help them with things but they help me, too. It’s like we all have to be in class together like that. We just need to be together.”

Hannah’s perspective – albeit an overly simplified one – is one that is grounded in educational and social justice. Instead of worrying about being somehow shortchanged by the system – worrying that if too many needs are represented the system will be overwhelmed – we need to do our part to make the system work – and to recognize and appreciate what each student brings to the classroom.

1 comment: